The MMDA has recently unveiled its emergency lay-by at the ground level of Quezon Avenue Flyover on EDSA where motorcycle riders can seek shelter during heavy downpours.
According to MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos, motorcycle riders would be allowed to stop at the emergency lay-by when raining so they would not block the highway while waiting for the rain to stop. The emergency lay-by has allotted spaces for motorcycles to use—with designated entrance and exit signs. Abalos also notes that the emergency lay-by is only a rain shelter and will have MMDA personnel assigned at the emergency lay-by to prohibit parking in the area. Signage, displaying the regulations for the use of the emergency lay-by, is installed under the flyover.
More emergency lay-by for motorcyclists will also be put up under flyovers at these locations:
• EDSA: GMA Kamuning; Kamias, Santolan/Crame, Ortigas, Buendia, Tramo (left turning), Roxas Boulevard.
• C5 Road: Tandang Sora, Aurora Boulevard, C5-Libis, Pasig Boulevard, C5 Kalayaan elevated U-turn along C5 Road.
• Roxas Boulevard: Roxas Jr. flyover, Buendia flyover, Roxas Boulevard-EDSA flyover Seaside Drive.
• Alabang Road: Metro Manila Skyway (toll road) near SLEX South Station toll gate, South Luzon Expressway (toll road) near Alabang Purple Hill.
• Paranaque-Sucat Road and Chapel road once areas have been cleared of obstructions.